By Angela Long, City Organizer Freelance Business Week DC
Did you know that…?*
- There are over 5,294 Government Contractors currently employed in the US, and most of them are located in DC and Arlington?
- 44.3% of all Government Contractors are women and 50.6% are men, and that those women earned 86% of what men earned?
- Government Contractors are paid an average annual salary of $69,784 and an Uber driver in DC makes an annual average of $34,000 in base pay (that’s keeping your eyes on the road 40 hours a week for 52 weeks a year with no vacation)**
With DC Metro being the home of the federal government, it’s no surprise that becoming a government contractor is a viable route for making a living for independent workers. The tricky thing is, is that on the outside it’s a mystical and complex process that requires patience and paperwork, way more so then passing a background check and downloading the Uber app for your driver account.
Enter #FBWDC Gov Con Toolkit! We’ve done the hard work of bringing together top experts in the field who will help you make your future happen and provide you with what you need to know to break into federal contracting.
Join us on Wednesday, April 20 when our panel of experts will share insights into the federal bid process, 8-A certifications, disadvantage business certifications, and the procurement process with government integrators. They will also share their own experience breaking into the gov con space.
- Graham Plaster, CEO/Founder, The Intelligence Community
- Tasha Crawford-Jones, President, Owner, Twenty39
- Walt Claytor, Associate Buyer at Booz Allen Hamilton
The panel will be moderated by LaShonda Bracey, CEO & President of Health-Works and ASAP Training and Course Development.
Not only will you hear from these experts, you’ll have the opportunity to ask your own questions.
You’ll come away with:
- Key insights into successfully breaking into federal contracting.
- An understanding of 8-A and disadvantage business certifications and how to obtain them.
- A complete toolkit of clear actionable steps to follow that will get you hired.
The panel will be followed by a networking mixer. Bring your business cards!
It’s all happening at WeWork Tysons, 1775 Tysons Blvd, Tysons, VA 22102
To learn more and to register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/273950381967
#FBWDC Gov Con Toolkit is part of Freelance Business Week DC, a week-long celebration from April 18-22 dedicated to freelancers and independent workers. Learn more here: Washington D.C. | #FREECON Nation
* Government Contractor Demographics and Statistics : Number Of Government Contractors In The US (zippia.com)
** Salary: Uber Driver in Washington, DC | Glassdoor