To counter what it describes as President Donald Trump’s “dirty war against the free press,” The Boston Globe is urging newspapers across the country to take a coordinated stand against his anti-media attacks, reports the HuffPost, which added that “scores have already answered the call to battle.”
According to the HuffPost, The Globe issued an appeal last week to editorial boards nationwide, urging them to publish editorials this Thursday, August 16, on the “dangers of the administration’s assault on the press.”
The post stated that on Saturday, “Marjorie Pritchard, the Globe’s deputy editorial page editor, told CNN that more than 100 publications ― ranging from big city papers to small weeklies ― have committed to participate.
““I expect that number to grow in the coming days,” Pritchard said.
“The Houston Chronicle, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Miami Herald and Denver Post are among the larger publications that have agreed to take part in the initiative, The Associated Press reported.
““The impact of Trump’s assault on journalism looks different in Boise (Idaho) than it does in Boston,” she wrote in her pitch to the nation’s papers. “Our words will differ. But at least we can agree that such attacks are alarming.”
“Pritchard told the AP that the Globe was spurred to act after noticing a recent uptick in the intensity of Trump’s anti-media rhetoric.”
(The Washington Post noted that “The Globe’s appeal is limited to newspaper opinion writers, who operate independently from news reporters and editors.”)
Following publication of that article, it was reported that more than 200 papers stated they intended to write editorials on Thursday.
In addition, The Radio Television Digital News Association and its Voice of the First Amendment Task Force are calling on more than 1,200 members and their broadcast and digital news outlets to join the Boston Globe and more than 100 other local newspapers across the country on Aug. 16 in a coordinated editorial response to attacks from the President on the media.