By Lauren Meadows, Williams Whittle
Public Service Announcements (PSAs) are one of the most effective (and easiest) ways your nonprofit can gain visibility and grow your base of supporters. In fact, our 2023 Annual Donor Survey shows that 34% of donations have been given as a result of a PSA.
PSAs have been on American airwaves for nearly 100 years, and the way people consume media has changed significantly. So has the way community affairs managers manage their airways for good.
Every year, we ask PSA Directors what trends they are seeing and what impact that has on their ability to deliver free media placements for nonprofits. While some trends have remained the same, there are many opportunities for nonprofits to appeal to networks and stations.
2023 Top 5 PSA Trends:
- July and October through December have the most available airtime for PSAs. This is good news for nonprofits who want their year-end fundraising to get an extra boost!
- 93% of PSA Directors receive less than 20 PSAs a week, yet they have space for more! One of the biggest recurring trends reported by PSA Directors is an abundance of capacity to air more PSAs. So now is the time to get your message out there!
- PSA Directors appreciate a variety of creative styles, but stories from beneficiaries rank highest. Live action, animation, factoids/statistics all ranked strong.
- PSA Directors want high-quality PSAs that appeal to their local audience. This year, more PSA Directors cite their personal relationship with the nonprofit, cause, or creative partner as a strong factor to air a PSA.
- 90% of stations are NOT more likely to run a PSA from a well-known nonprofit. As long as your website can build your credibility, then you’ll be evaluated the same!
Click here to view other trends and to download the full 2023 PSA Survey.