In the first of a series of webinars targeted at nonprofits, Williams Whittle, in conjunction with research firm KB Insights, conducted a national survey of consumers matching the census profile of the United States by location and demographics (gender, age, income, ethnicity, marital status, and presence of children).
The highlights of their donation history, future giving, and communication preferences are provided below.
- Mission is the #1 motivator
- Poverty/human services and health charities are the two most favored categories
- Older population gives at a greater rate…and gives more
- Holiday giving is important, but opportunities exist throughout the year
- The COVID-19 pandemic has an impact on giving for most
- Past donations do not necessarily predict future donations
- While donors are consistent with the charities they support, opportunities for new donations exist
- Most prefer to give to local charities
- Online giving is most popular, but a multi-media approach is key
- Donor communications should focus on end-user benefits and upcoming events
- Email is the preferred communication method to stay in touch and solicit donations
- A strong social media presence is also important
- Public service announcements are impactful for donations
- Friends influence giving
- TV remains the #1 news source
The full presentation and results of the Donor Survey can be viewed here.
Click here to view or download the PDF version of 15 Insights to Better Target Donors.
Williams Whittle is a Capitol Communicator sponsor.